Thursday, August 27, 2009

Call Me Zelda


A long weekend in the Hamptons with Laura has become a summer ritual for me. I know, "the Hamptons" -- but really, it's pretty laid back. Mostly.
Some highlights from last weekend included seeing a rainbow and a deranged high tide at Atlantic Beach (side effects from Hurricane Bill) on Saturday; touring the house in Amagansett that Laura and Jonathan are buying (!); attending my first polo match, above, in Bridgehampton (no one watches the action -- they're all at the bar at the back of the big tent); and having dinner with our friend Noel in Hampton Bays.
For dinner, Laura and I brought over a saucy little rosé, the 2008 Domaine Houchart Côtes de Provence ($11). The aroma had notes of pear and cucumber, and I noticed a slight effervescence; and of course, I love the ease of the screw-top. Noel cooked everything at the grill and it was fantastic: clams with a shallot-lemon-garlic sauce, asparagus and halibut. Cherry pie from the farm stand topped off a very chill poolside evening.

1 comment: