Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Charming Chard

Made French onion soup on Sunday night. No sherry in the house as the recipe requested, so I improvised with white wine, a 2007 Walnut Crest Chardonnay (Valle Central, Chile), and the soup turned out absolutely irresistible. Might have also been the thick layer of Gruyère, but who's counting?
So how was the wine in the glass? Drinking chardonnay reminds me of my relationship with coffee, which I started dabbling with in high school. I didn't love it at first but kept coming around to it in its different variations and eventually grew to love it. I can't say I love chardonnay yet, but it's trying to work its charms on me. This one had a clean, crisp scent of minerals and was light on the palate (no oak, 13 percent alcohol, about $10), with a neutral finish.
I could drink this again, and from me, that's high praise for a chard.

No comments:

Post a Comment