Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Robert Goodman Wines


Our main mission during our stay in Arcata, Calif., was to see the magnificent redwoods nearby. And we did, and they were awesome. I found time to squeeze in a tasting at Robert Goodman Wines, and I'm so glad I did. The tasting room has been open just since April. They produce all their wines in Arcata from grapes bought elsewhere.
I picked a flight of three wines; first up was the 2005 Carneros, Sangiacomo Vineyards Chardonnay. It had a rich lemon color and an aroma of slate but not much complexity. It was well-balanced but not outstanding ($26 a bottle).
Next was a 2007 Humboldt County, Alder Point, Rainbo Vineyards Pinot Noir. I found it floral and grassy, and overly tannic at first -- this one could use a year or two to soften up ($26 a bottle). The charming bartender, Jen, said another wine lover reported that "it bites," meaning it has a snap to it that makes for an abrupt drinking experience.
Last was my favorite, the 2006 Humboldt County, Orleans, Henry Rose Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, which had notes of moss and smoke and was a smooth ride from beginning to end. I had to take a souvenir of this one, also at $26.

No comments:

Post a Comment