Monday, May 10, 2010

Half and Half

The other day, a lady called from 67wine.com to make sure I knew I was ordering a half-bottle as part of a recent restocking o' the wine rack here on West 34th. I assured her that it was correct. Frankly, I don't know why stores don't sell more half-bottles. For one thing, they are cute. Also, maybe you're married to or living with someone who just doesn't like the wine you like. For example, I've seen Bobby drink exactly one glass of white wine, ever, and we'll be celebrating our eighth anniversary this summer. He's just a red wine kind of guy. So it would make sense for us to have more half-bottles in case our tastes diverge on a given night.
The half-bottle from 67wine was a 2007 Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais-Villages. (After what I learned in wine class last year, it's usually worth it step up from a plain old Beaujolais to the better-quality Beaujolais-Villages.) I enjoyed this one for its plummy, smoky aroma. It's a light red (12.5 percent alcohol), and light on the wallet, too: $3.99. Let's hear it for the halves.

No comments:

Post a Comment