Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Big Black

Hit the sale at Surdyk's recently and came up with a little gem, Le Grand Noir 2008 (Minervois, France). It's 60 percent grenache, 35 percent shiraz and 5 percent mourvedre, and medium-bodied at 13 percent alcohol.
I found aromas of yeast and plum -- it had an almost herbal quality. The first sip was a bright shot of tannin, but it quickly turned mellower and even a little tingly after a few moments. This is a lovely, well-balanced wine; it won the 2010 gold medal at the San Francisco International Wine Competiton, which I hope it not a bunch of marketing hooey. Well, even if it is, it doesn't diminish this appealing wine, which I acquired for the equally appealing price of $6.99.
It's a screw-top bottle, which I love -- my favorite corkscrew broke a while back (from overuse, no doubt), and I have yet to find its equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment