Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Green Wine

It's a rainy day in New York -- we seem stuck in that season where decent weather is limited to one day at a time -- but nevertheless still Earth Day.
Of course we recycle our wine bottles, but I am always on the hunt for other ways to make wine a more earth-friendly pursuit. I have tried some of the "bag-in-box" wines, specifically the French Rabbit pinot noir, which I recall as pretty good but not spectacular. I am still working on my "good wine comes in a proper bottle" prejudice, I suppose.
One bottle caught my eye over the weekend, though: a 2006 Carmen Cabernet Sauvignon from the Maipo Valley in Chile, which came with tag around its neck declaring "Now our bottles are 15% lighter." This was a luscious cab with notes of plum and cherries, and it went down well with the goat cheese/roasted red pepper/roasted garlic quesadillas on the grill the other night. We love the screw-top bottle, too, and the price: it was around $10 at my wine shop on Ninth Avenue.
Does a 15-percent-lighter bottle make up for the fact that the wine comes all the way from Chile? I wonder about the tradeoff. I am always glad to support winemakers in Latin America, though, as well as other developing areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment