Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Family Dinner

Last week I revisited 112, a restaurant in the warehouse district of Minneapolis. They've expanded since I last ate there; the new upstairs dining room is softly lighted and welcoming but a bit loud when the place is full. So what did we drink?
To start, Bud picked the 2007 Picpoul de Pinet, Domaine Reine Juliette (Languedoc, France), which was refreshing and slightly effervescent. ($20). Bud said he drank this on a summer trip to Provence, and I can see why. Next I selected the 2005 Vacqueyras, "La Graelière," Pierre Amadieu (Rhone, France), which was plush but a bit "closed-in" at first; it opened up enticingly as we got further into the bottle. ($42). To finish, Bud ordered the 2006 Minervois, Chateau d'Oupia (France), an extremely friendly blend -- I read later that it's 60 percent carignan, 30 percent syrah and 10 percent grenache -- and a great value at $24.
I had a delicious romaine/roquefort salad; the banana cream tart for dessert was a miss (not enough banana!). Next time I could stuff myself on the goodies they bring to the table automatically: addictive spicy nuts and green olives. And of course, something new from the well-organized and accessible wine list.

No comments:

Post a Comment