Monday, May 25, 2009

Neighborly in New York



As a New Yorker for the past eight years, I can ignore almost anything except a) people talking at the movies and b) the howling baby on the plane in the row behind me. Which is why it's so surprising to me that people are flocking to restaurants like Co. in Chelsea, which has communal dining tables, and talking to their neighbors. Usually we like to observe our fellow diners but never actually interact with them. But that's exactly what Bobby, Jane and I did a few nights ago: We spoke to our Italian/English-speaking neighbors to my right, and a cute young couple from the neighborhood on my left -- we even shared pizza with them! (That's Jane talking to them, above.)
The name is a little baffling; I keep referring to it as "Koh," but I have read that it's pronounced "Company." They have done a great job renovating a space that used to be a dumpy little corner bakery, into a refined room with lots of wood and soft lighting. The food, the wine and the service were spot-on. I started with a cup of the savory Tuscan bread soup, and Bobby, Jane and I shared the pizza bianca (flatbread with sea salt and olive oil, served with fresh ricotta), and I had the pizza margherita. Jane and I both sipped the Artazuri Rosado 2008 Bodega Artazu from Navarra, Spain ($9), a juicy, semi-dry rosé. Bobby had both the 2006 Falset (Monstant, Spain) for $9, a lighter red he described as "fine" ... and later a peppery Syrah 'Tous les Jours' 2006 (Andrew Murray Vineyards, Central Coast, California), also $9.
And I couldn't resist a scoop of praline gelato to top it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment