Monday, July 20, 2009

Birthday Barbera, and Bubbly


Down on Eighth Street in the Village, Otto, one of our favorite Italian restaurants, was the destination for my birthday celebration last week. Bobby and I started with dishes of marinated figs and roasted peppers, then moved on to the addictive thin-crust pizza. I have daydreams about the pane frattau: tomato with pecorino and a fried egg on top. It sounds kind of gross, I know, but it is divine; a simple, savory pie that keeps me coming back (although I have tried making it at home. It turned out OK.). The well-edited wine list produced a 2006 Oddero Barbera d'Alba (Piedmont), a bright, slightly spicy quartino ($12). And while I was indulging, there was gelato: I had a trio of salty caramel, dark chocolate and peppermint chocolate chip. ... And I'm still enjoying it, just thinking about it.

The next night, Laura, Tammy, Scott and I were due for a pilgrimage to the last outpost of Miracle Grill in Brooklyn. We kicked off the evening at Laura's place with Nicolas Feuillate Rosé Champagne, a perky, deep-pink bubbly that went down easy. A quick cab ride to Brooklyn, to our destination in Park Slope ... but I was only about two tortilla chips in when, unfortunately, the evening had to be cut short since I seem to have had a case of food poisoning from my late lunch (I think it was the broccoli). Well! A quick return trip to Manhattan, and an early night to bed for me. I think we will pick up the celebration where we left off ... soon, I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Michael and I have walked past that Otto place three-dozen times and always wondered if we should try it. It sounds like the answer is a big fat YES!

    ReplyDelete