Monday, July 6, 2009

Red, White but No Blue

For the Fourth of July I suppose we should have had only American wines, but it just didn't turn out that way. I bought a 2005 Montecillo Crianza Rioja ($12.99); the winery was founded in Spain in 1874, 382 years after Columbus came to the New World, so there's your American connection. Anyway, I found the wine bright and uncomplicated -- I've had better riojas.
Next was the 2005 Catena Cabernet Sauvignon (Mendoza, Argentina), which had aromas of red berries, moss, maybe a little smoky quality. It was slightly tannic but the fruit hangs in nicely. A winner (and a gift from my newly engaged brother. Thanks, Tom!). (About $17.)
Last was a 2007 Mirassou Chardonnay (California), with a minerally scent and a note of cucumber; very fresh-tasting with a hint of pear. Not at all oaky, a flavor category I have grown to dislike. Might as well gnaw on toothpicks. ($10.99.)

1 comment:

  1. I was CERTAIN this post was going to be about Blue Nun, my parents' wine of choice in the 1970s. (Seriously.)

    ReplyDelete