Friday, July 3, 2009

A Cabernet Disappoints

Laura dropped by for dinner the other night; I was craving a brie-and-fig panini I had at this amazing Italian cafe/market in Philadelphia a few years ago, so I whipped them up on my cast-iron grill (no room for a panini press in my kitchen!).
We also had steamed fresh green beans with a splash of lemon, and for dessert, in honor of Wimbledon, I made fresh whipped cream to go with strawberries (which make themselves).
I had picked up a 2005 Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon (Colchagua, Chile) earlier that day, and while it wasn't terrible, I found a little too jammy and cloying for my taste.
It was $9.99 at the DeLauren wine shop on Eighth Avenue in Chelsea, and now I recall Kevin Zraly saying the best Chilean cabernets are really in the $15 to $25 range. I wish I listened...

No comments:

Post a Comment