Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Homework

My assignment over the weekend was to buy a Bordeaux for less than $30 (apparently to tear down the myth that the only good Bordeaux are stratospherically expensive). Mission accomplished, as some former presidents like to say.
I ended up with a 2005 Chateau Marot Bellevue Bordeaux. This was a delicious, easy-drinking red with a note of plum. It went very well with dinner last night: pesto pasta, broccoli and angel food cake. I got it for $14.99 at 9th Avenue Wine & Liquor.
Factoid alert! It is a law in France that the chateau on the label actually has to be the one attached to that vineyard.
I was also reminded of Peter Mayle's hilarious essay in French Lessons about the wild marathon in Bordeaux every September, the one where people dress up in costumes and stop for wine breaks at the chateaux. It actually made even me want to run a marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment