Monday, March 2, 2009

Italy, Then the Basque Country

I didn't exactly celebrate Open That Bottle Night on Saturday because I don't really save wine for months or years on end. (We're a buy 'em and drink 'em household. I will be putting a wine fridge on my wish list, along with a bigger apartment, but it's out of the question at the moment.) But I did open a special wine, a 2006 Vietti Barbera D'Asti DOC ($17.25 at Garnet Wine) and it was a nice reminder of our first trip to Babbo. We got a gift certificate (thanks, Bud!) and splurged on a Barbera there that was very memorable, although I don't remember the exact wine. I want to say it was in the $125 ballpark, by far the most we have ever paid for wine in a restaurant, or anywhere else for that matter. And I was a little intimidated when the sommelier came over and spoke about the family and the vineyard it came from ... I think I would be slightly more confident now. I just have to remind myself that while it's fun to learn about it, wine is still only something to drink. No fear.
Last night we ate at Txikito (chee-kee-toe), a cute new Basque tapas joint on Ninth Avenue at 24th. I had a glass of the -- mouth-fully named -- 2004 Vina Salceda Rioja Alvesa Tempranillo Mazuela Graciano ($11), which was pleasantly spicy. Later I tried a 2006 Gaba do Xil Valdeorras Godello ($9) that was very smooth, even creamy. The second, a white that was totally new to me, was notated as being from a "Basque heritage winemaker producing outside Euzkadi," in this case Galicia, Spain. And the food was delicious but a bit salty: Grilled sardines, green beans with garlic and olive oil, and crab gratin. The bartender told us people have been flocking to the place for the chef's turbot, which she said "tastes like home" but which is only occasionally on the menu. I guess we'll have to stop in again.

No comments:

Post a Comment