Sunday, March 29, 2009

Teutonic and Trendy


Tonight with dinner I opened a 2007 Graff Riesling Kabinettt ($11.99 at Ninth Avenue Wine & Liquor). It's part of my newfound appreciation for German wine, and hey, after all, I did spend the first 33 years of my life as a Biersdorfer, so maybe it's genetic.
For dinner I whipped up some cheddar cheese puffs (when food snobs make them with parmigiano or gruyère, they're called gougères) from a recipe in the Times' Dining section last week. Sinfully delicious. Then, black miso cod (so easy to make, and almost as good as Nobu's), plus sugar snap peas. And dessert: banana cream whoopie pie from FreshDirect. Wow, I think we stuffed three or four food trends into one meal. The Kabinett was crisp and minerally, and went with the cod like peanut butter goes with jelly. Even Bobby liked it, and he usually runs from white wine like it's hemlock.
I was happy to spend some time in the kitchen since we have been on the go lately. Now, I have homework: must read the chapter for tomorrow night's class.

2 comments:

  1. Could I lure you in with a Spätlese, or five?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers are crossed that you may actually check the comments, I am cyber stalking you.
    Shaune Clark

    ReplyDelete